Riveria is one of the largest vocational education and training (VET) providers in Finland
North Karelia Municipal Education and Training Consortium
– brochure in English
We organise vocational upper secondary, further vocational and specialist vocational qualifications, also liberal adult and summer university education. The Ministry of Culture and Education has awarded our organisation the Quality Award for Vocational Education in 2002, 2008, 2012 and 2016.
Our area of operation covers the entire region of North Karelia formed by the 12 municipalities, the owners of Riveria. We have training centres in Joensuu (the capital of North Karelia), Kitee, Lieksa, Nurmes, Outokumpu and Valtimo. Annually we have around 15 000 students and about 740 staff.
Exchange of students and education professionals
The main function of our international operations is to grow Riveria’s international profile through increasing the number of exchanges of students and education professionals. Riveria students can participate in international projects, host foreign students and travel to other countries to complete a part of their professional training in foreign companies.
Foreign students are welcome to take part in the full qualification programmes, complete certain modules in our training centres or have professional training in local companies under the guidance and supervision of our teachers.
Riveria teachers and other staff members take part in exchange programmes and other partnership projects. For groups of education professionals from other countries visiting Riveria, we can organise tailor-made diverse study visits, Educational Camps including special training programmes, work shops and seminars, in collaboration with other local education providers. We also assist educational organizations in improving their systems by offering development services known by EduSolutions.
Vocational education and training for non-Finnish-speaking applicants
Most of our trainings are arranged in Finnish. The application form to each training can be found on the web page introducing the training. The web page also includes entry requirements, application periods, selection criteria and the start times of the studies.
In English we offer one vocational qualification which is the Vocational Qualification in Mechanical Engineering and Production Technology, Plater-Welder.
Riveria also offers a few trainings that are taught in English in the beginning and at the same time include intensive Finnish studies to strengthen the students’ Finnish proficiency. Eventually the qualification will be completed in Finnish.
- Vocational Qualification in Cleaning and Property Services, Site Facilities Operative or Housekeeper
- Vocational Qualification in Restaurant and Catering Services, Cook
- Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care, Practical Nurse
- Nationality: All nationalities can apply for the programme.
- Age: You are at least 18 years old at the time of admission.
- Educational background: High school certificate or the general school-leaving certificate
- Language skills: Good English proficiency
Application schedule, link to the application form and more detailed instructions will be found on the web page of each training.
- Check whether you are eligible to apply.
- Find out if it is possible for you to begin the studies at the start date of the education.
- Find out issues related to entering Finland before applying.
- Fill in the application form carefully. It has an impact on your admission.
- Add the required attachments to the application form (school leaving certificate, motivation video)
- After the application period is over applicants selected to the next phase will receive an invitation to assessment of suitability by email. The assessment may include language test, interview or aptitude test. The method of assessment is introduced on the web page of each training.
- Participating in the assessment is compulsory. Otherwise you can not be admitted.
- Riveria selects the students based on the given information and assessment of suitability.
- You will be informed about the study place by email.
- If admitted, accept the study place by the given time as instructed in the letter of acceptance.
- Apply for residence permit and accommodation if needed.
Cost of studies
Studying is free of charge. There may be some costs caused by study tools, work clothes and shoes. During the training you will also perform some cards issued by authorities which are subject to a fee.
What moving to Finland requires
If you don’t live in Finland and you don’t have a residence permit, find out before applying if you need a permit and what acquiring the permit requires.
Also evaluate, whether moving to Finland is possible for you before the training begins.
You must apply for the residence permit before moving to Finland and it must be valid before you start your studies. You can apply for a residence permit after you have received a study place. The permit is not needed when applying.
You will also need a private health insurance and sufficient funds for living in Finland.
Familiarize yourself in advance with InfoFinland website. On the site you will find instructions on how to deal with the permit matters according to your nationality and life situation.
Please note that Riveria does not provide accommodation. You can apply for a rented apartment on
Need assistance in applying?
Please contact Admission Services by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +358 13 244 3000.
Our chat-service at is also available on weekdays starting from 9.00 to 14.00.