Practical Nurse (lähihoitaja)
Start your studies in English and proceed to a Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care in Finnish
Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care with the competence area of care and rehabilitation for the elderly produces competence to work for example in home care, care homes for the elderly, day centres, inpatient wards in health centres and dementia units.
Description of the training
The training is primarily aimed at non-Finnish-speaking students, who have sufficient skills in English.
The first part of the training will be in English added with intensive Finnish studies
It also includes studies supporting learning skills, study techniques and social skills. During the studies, the language will gradually change to Finnish as your Finnish language skills develop. Eventually you will complete your vocational qualification in Finnish and graduate as a practical nurse, lähihoitaja in Finnish.
A practical nurse with a Vocational Qualification in Social and Health care is a regulated professional under both the Act and Decree on Health Care Professionals and the Act on Social Care Professionals.
Practical nurse training will be carried out at our modern, well-equipped premises in Riveria, Joensuu. An important part of the training will be on-the-job learning periods which will be held in the health care companies and public organizations.
The Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care includes medical health requirements to ensure that the applicant is capable of studying and on-the-job learning in terms of his or her state of health or functional capacity (SORA regulations).
The student’s state of health and functional capacity may not compromise the safety of the clients, employees or other students.
When applying, you will be asked to report potential obstacles related to your state of health or functional capacity.
Restrictions and obstacles on student admission may be:
- current untreated psychosis or severe depressive disorder, or other illness impairing mental health and ability to function in a practical educational setting
- musculo-skeletal disorders, injuries or other conditions limiting physical health and capacity to function, which prevent a person from performing practical training tasks and assignments
- a disabling skin condition, such as chronic rash that prevents a person from performing training tasks and assignments
- problematic substance abuse or addiction.
The aim of the SORA regulations is to improve the safety of education and working life.
SORA – solutions for unsuitability (oph.fi) in Finnish
- You are at least 18 years of age.
- High school certificate or the general school-leaving certificate
- Good command of English
- Good physical and mental condition to study and work as a practical nurse.
How will the training be arranged?
The training will start in English. It will include both full-time theoretical studies and on-the-job learning. The first on-the-job learning period will be during the first year of studying. The classes will be held during daytime (Monday–Friday).
Duration of the training
The duration of the studies is individual depending on your previous studies and experience in the field. The average duration is two to three years. A personal study development plan will be made for each student.
Contents of the training
The scope of the studies is 180 competence points (cp) is composed of vocational units (145cp) and common units (35cp).
- Promoting growth and participation (25 cp.)
- Promoting wellbeing and functional capacity (30 cp.)
- Working in home care (40 cp.)
- Promoting the participation of older people (35 cp.)
- Optional vocational modules (15 cp)
- Communication and interaction skills (11 cp)
- Competence in mathematics and natural sciences (6 cp)
- Society and working life skills (9 cp)
- Optional common modules (9 cp)
This qualification will give you a good basis for continuing studies at a university level.
National Qualification Requirements
The student selection will be done in two phases:
- The applicants are required to make an introduction video. Instructions for the video will be found on the application form. The applicants to be invited to the aptitude test will be selected based on the application and the video.
- The students will be selected on the basis of the aptitude test.
|Application period||March 13th to April 9th, 2023|
|Selection of the applicants to be tested||April 17th to 21st, 2023|
|Aptitude test||May 29th to June 1st, 2023|
|Student selection||June 12th to 16th, 2023|
|Start of the training||September 6th, 2023|
The aptitude test can be completed only at Riveria campus in Joensuu. Online test is not possible.
The cost of studies
Studying is free of charge. There may be some costs caused by study tools, work clothes and shoes. During the training you will also perform some cards issued by authorities which are subject to a fee.
(click the red link below)
Hae tästä:Joensuun koulutusyksikkö, Peltola Practical Nurse / Vocational Qualification in Social and Health Care.
Haku avoinna 13.03.2023-09.04.2023
The admission will take place on the basis of an aptitude test. The applicants to be invited to the aptitude test will be selected based on the application and the motivation video. The aptitude test is on 29th May to 1st June at Riveria campus in Joensuu. Online test is not possible.